Reopening temporary restrictions information
Community recycling centres across the Scottish Borders reopened on Monday 1 June, with a number of temporary restrictions in place.
With demand expected to be extremely high, the temporary restrictions have been put in place to ensure the safety of customers and staff and allow access for as many people as possible.
Queues are expected, with residents encouraged to only use the recycling centres if essential to help the facilities cope with demand.
Infographic and video
A mobile friendly infographic is available
Estimated queuing times
New traffic management systems will be in place and queue lengths will be restricted. Estimated waiting times for each recycling centre will be available on the following pages:
Please note, opening hours and further changes at community recycling centres are coming into force from Monday 13 July, find out more.
- An odd and even vehicle number plate system will be in place, which means you can only visit on certain days
- Recycling centres will be open seven days a week, between 9am-2pm
- Only cars and small vans weighing up to two tonnes accepted, such as car-derived vans and small panel vans. No large vans, trailers or horse boxes will be accepted. More details available
- If possible, one person per vehicle should travel to the site and only one should leave the vehicle to offload waste. The only exception is for heavy items such as washing machines where two people can leave the vehicle to offload waste.
- No assistance can be provided by site staff to offload materials due to social distancing guidance
Waste types accepted
Accepted items from Wednesday 8 July include:
- Kerbside recycling materials
- Scrap metal - this will be classed as a large general waste item
- Bikes for re-use at Selkirk, Hawick, Eshiels, Kelso and Galashiels
We are also reopening our Reuse Cabins at Selkirk, Hawick and Eshiels. More information about the Cabins is available.
The following items continue to be accepted:
- General waste
- Garden waste
- Large household electrical appliances such as fridges, freezers and TVs
- Large domestic appliances such as washing machines and tumble driers
- Small household electrical appliances such as microwaves, hoovers, toasters and kettles
- Fluorescent tubes
- Car batteries
- Engine oil
A maximum of five bin bags of waste are allowed per visit, including a limit of two large general waste/wood/electrical/car battery/scrap metal items.
- 5 bin bags of waste plus no large items
- 4 bin bags of waste plus one large item
- 3 bin bags of waste plus two large items
Only one visit per day is permitted to our recycling centres.
- The temporary restrictions are in place to ensure the safety of customers and staff and allow access to as many people as possible
- You must continue to follow the government’s two metre social distancing guidance when visiting our recycling centres
- Waste should be presented in easily managed amounts that can be deposited quickly on arrival at site
- Recycling centres may need to temporarily close at short notice in order for skips to be emptied
- We thank all residents for their patience and cooperation and would ask anyone using our recycling centres to please treat our staff with respect
- Failure to comply with the temporary restrictions and social distancing guidance will result in recycling centres having to close again