Published: Wednesday, 7th October 2020
Wilton Lodge Park’s Pavilion Café is set to reopen next week with a new local operator in place.
We have agreed a new lease Judith Hope-Wilson who aims to provide a takeaway service from Tuesday 13 October, with the public toilets alongside the café due to reopen on Monday 12 October.
The news will be welcomed by local people and visitors to the Green Flag status park, which has a range of facilities following a £3.64million regeneration project we funded alongside the Heritage Lottery Fund.
Essential flood scheme works require Volunteer Park car park closure
- those wishing to access Wilton Lodge Park should be aware that from Monday 19 October, there will be no parking available at Volunteer Park car park for five weeks due to essential Hawick Flood Protection Scheme
- the works include sheet piling and formation of a sandstone clad flood defence wall either side of the car park entrance. It will allow a demountable flood barrier to be placed across the entrance in the event of a flood warning
- pedestrian access will be maintained to Volunteer Park via a dedicated temporary footpath alongside the 3G pitch with a push button crossing allowing pedestrians to cross safely over Buccleuch Road
- a dedicated walkway on Victoria Road will allow pedestrians a direct route to the café from Common Haugh. The pedestrian temporary access from the school end of Buccleuch Road into the tennis court and cricket pitch remains open throughout the works and closure
- alternative car parking remains available beside the Wilton Lodge Park Walled Garden and at Common Haugh
Hawick Flood Protection Scheme details
The Hawick Flood Protection Scheme now represents four significant projects in one:
- the construction of the Flood Protection Scheme
- the creation of a new Active Travel Network of traffic-free footpath and cycleways, stretching from Volunteer Park along the River Teviot to Weensland and the community recycling centre
- an upgrade to the A7 trunk road, at Commercial Road, to make it fit for the levels of traffic it now carries
- the installation of a new high capacity wastewater pumping station within the town’s wastewater treatment works to further alleviate the risk of sewage flooding during future flood events
More information is available on the Hawick Flood Scheme website.
“I am looking forward to reopening the Pavilion Café and providing this important service to the community and visitors to Wilton Lodge Park.”
Councillor Gordon Edgar, Executive Member for Infrastructure, Travel and Transport
“This is fantastic news that the Pavilion Café will reopen in time for the October half-term holidays, allowing families to get something to eat and drink and use toilet facilities while enjoying the award-winning Wilton Lodge Park.
“I would encourage people to support this local operator who has taken over the running of the Pavilion Café, which I am sure will be a success.”
"We understand the temporary closure of the car park at Volunteer Park is an inconvenience for those using its sports facilities and the nearby Wilton Lodge Park but these are critical works which will protect this area from significant flood events.
“Pedestrian access will be maintained at all times so I hope local people continue to use the fantastic facilities in this area of Hawick.”