Published: Thursday, 19th March 2020
Latest information on our services.
Customers and community
- Reduced opening hours: Following the Scottish Government’s Coronavirus advice to limit social contact, a decision has been made to reduce the opening hours of a number of Contact Centres, Library/Contact Centres and Social Work offices across the Scottish Borders from Thursday 19 March. Full details are available on our website.
- Live Borders: From close of play on Friday 20 March all Live Borders venues will be closed to the public, apart from Harestanes and Heart of Hawick. Full details are on the Live Borders website.
- Waste and recycling: Temporary alterations to waste and recycling services have been put in place with immediate effect. These are explained in full on our website.
- National support measures: Scottish Government yesterday announced a series of measures and funding streams that will be available to help various groups. Included in this are specific actions to support businesses. As soon as we have more detail about how this will be actioned we will provide this.
- School closures – As stated yesterday, schools are to close across Scotland from Friday and we are planning for pupils to continue learning from home. The Deputy First Minister will set out more detail today surrounding the Scottish Government’s plans and the impact of this decision and we will provide updates in due course.
Health and Social Care
- What Matters Hubs – drop in sessions have been cancelled until further notice. Information and advice is still available from Customer Advice and Support Services on 0300 100 1800. Carers can contact the Borders Carers Centre for advice on 01896 752431.
- Social Work Teams – these can be contacted through Customer Advice and Support Services on 0300 100 1800. In an emergency out of office hours, phone 01896 752111.
- Homecare service - robust contingency plans are in place to ensure that our homecare service is only affected as a last resort, but given the unpredictable nature of COVID-19, it has been necessary to invoke some measures so we can continue to deliver care to the most vulnerable clients. To achieve this we have reduced the packages of care currently provided to some of our less vulnerable clients. This change has only happened after carrying out a very careful risk assessment and consulting with clients and their families. Staff are following guidance issued by the Scottish Government and Health Protection Scotland to ensure strict infection control procedures are in place. Should a client or family member have concerns or would like more information, they should contact their home care manager for advice on 01896 662701.
- Residential care homes – access has been limited to one nominated family member per resident. If this person become unwell at all, they are asked not to attend the care home. Visiting times have been restricted to 2-3pm and 7-8pm daily.
- Day support services - all day support services for people with a learning disability and older people provided by SB Cares will close from Wednesday 18 March. Staff will continue to support service users where essential needs have been identified.
- Gala Resource Centre – this is closed. Staff will continue to provide support to individuals and carers by telephone.
- Joint Learning Disability Service - staff are only able to provide critical face to face meetings with service users. All other contacts will be by telephone on 01896 840200.
- Local Area Co-ordination Service - staff are only providing critical face to face meetings with service users. All other contacts will be by telephone or email on 01896 664155 or email: LAC at scotborders.gov.uk
- Private providers and commissioned services – service users should speak to their provider directly for the latest information regarding their service.
Further information is available on our dedicated pages.