Published: Tuesday, 1st October 2019
The new winter opening hours for community recycling centres across the Scottish Borders begin today (Monday 30 September).
The new arrangement will see
- Weekday opening hours move to 10am to 4.45pm, with the summer hours having been 10am to 6.45pm
- During winter, weekend opening hours remain the same – 9am to 4.45pm
- Closure of sites for one or two days during the week remain the same
We took the decision to move to summer and winter opening hours earlier this year to ensure the service better met the needs of the public, and ensure it remained sustainable for the local authority.
Figures available from five of the seven community recycling centres show almost 10,000 visits were made to the sites during the later summer opening hours from April to August this year.
The decision was made following an extensive review which considered waste survey results and community recycling centre user figures.
More information is available.
Councillor Gordon Edgar, our Executive Member for Roads and Infrastructure
“I would like to thank the public for using the community recycling centres so far this year, including the thousands who used the new summer hours to visit after 5pm, when the centres were previously closed.
“While there is a change to the weekday opening hours for winter, weekend hours remain unchanged, with all facilities open Saturdays and Sundays, when demand is higher.
“In line with our Millions of Reasons to Recycle campaign, I would continue to encourage the public play their part and use our community recycling centres to help the environment and public funding, with a huge variety of items being recycled at our centres.”
Images are available at our Flickr page.
We have launched a new campaign entitled Millions of Reasons to Recycle to encourage residents to put the right stuff in the right bin. More information is available on the Millions of Reasons website.
The changes follow an extensive review which considered waste survey results and community recycling centre user figures:
- Received over 1,400 responses from members of the Borders public in 2016 and revealed 62% of people would manage if all community recycling centres were open less often.
- A total of 46% of respondents also said they would use a community recycling centre if open later (between 5pm to 7pm) in summer.
- Community recycling centre statistics show user figures are 45% higher in the summer than the winter, with centres also used 11% more at weekends than weekdays.