Published: Tuesday, 10th September 2019
Industry experts from businesses including Harris Tweed and Mackie’s of Scotland will take part in the annual Scottish Borders Business Gateway Conference this October.
The conference, and the guest speakers, are aimed at inspiring, encouraging and supporting local businesses to grow and adapt. The event also offers a fantastic opportunity to make new connections, share experience and learn about the exciting prospects for the region’s economy.
The free full day conference is being held on Wednesday 30 October at Kelso Racecourse and is open to business of all sizes and in all sectors. This event is being funded from the European Regional Development Fund.
The guest speakers are:
- Mark Hogarth, Harris Tweed - Mark has been creative director of Harris Tweed Hebrides since 2008 and works as a branding consultant in fashion and textiles. His work as part of the multi award winning Harris Tweed Hebrides has been credited with transforming the unique heritage industry.
- Hazel Smith, ReTweed - Hazel set up ReTweed in Eyemouth as a social enterprise, offering women a new way to think about their futures by gaining the skills and experience for creative industries.
- Sarah Johnson, IndigoLeap -Sarah is a seasoned digital marketer, with over 15 years' experience in the industry. She is Co-Founder and Director of IndigoLeap, a data-led marketing agency helping clients achieve their business growth objectives, quickly and profitably.
- Amanda Pickford, ThermaFY - CEO and founder of ThermaFY in Kelso, a software company who develop specialist thermal analysis solutions.
- Karin Hayhow, Mackie’s of Scotland - Karin Hayhow is Marketing Director of Mackie’s. The family business is based in Westertown which has been home to an ice cream factory since 1986. The firm remains a popular and well-known household name and established global brand, and continues to expand its product range to now include, crisps, popcorn and chocolate.
Business Gateway’s start up and growth business advisers will also all be on hand at the conference to answer any queries and discuss the range of support that can be provided.
Book a space
Spaces at the conference can be booked via the Scottish Borders Business Gateway website or by calling 01835 825600.
The Business Gateway service is delivered locally by oursleves and offers information, advice and guidance to people who are considering starting a business or growing their existing business.
Councillor Mark Rowley, Executive Member for Business and Economic Development
“The Business Gateway Conference is a great chance for Scottish Borders businesses and entrepreneurs to hear some fantastic speakers talk about their experiences and thoughts on a wide variety of business matters, including technology, innovation, going digital and developing rural businesses.
“I’d strongly encourage local businesspeople to sign up early to guarantee their place at this free event.”