Published: Wednesday, 03rd July 2019
Galashiels residents are being invited to take part in a programme of free activities being provided throughout the summer for children, young people and families.
The Galashiels Summer Programme 2019 will take place between Monday 8 July and Friday 16 August and has been organised in partnership by
- our Community Learning and Development (CLD) team
- NHS Borders Healthy Living Network and Community Food Workers
- Langlee Early Years Centre and Primary School
- LIVE Borders and Galashiels Library
- our Outdoor Learning team
- Sound Cycle (a Youth Borders initiative)
- Borders Youth Theatre
The programme aims to promote family learning, healthy eating, physical activity and community togetherness. Partners have been keen to take a joined-up approach with the shared vision of working together to encourage families and young people to take part.
Activities in Galashiels Super Summer Programme
The diverse range of activities on offer include:
- community breakfast and lunch, with a community fridge filled with lots of healthy, free produce from a local growing plot
- crafts, dance and drama
- physical activity and multi-sports activities;
- walking fitness group
- community laundry
- family play sessions and drop-ins
- stories and library games
- ‘teddy bear’s’ picnic
- music project
- cycling skills sessions for children
- free family movie screening
- community performance of Alice Through the Looking Glass by Borders Youth Theatre
Councillor Carol Hamilton, Executive Member for Children and Young People
“With such a fantastic range of activities on offer, I would encourage the Galashiels community to make sure they enjoy as many of them as they can. This is a real opportunity for children and their families to be creative, healthy and learn some new skills together, while having fun at the same time.”
Printed copies of the programme
Printed copies of the programme are available from the Langlee Early Years Centre or Community Centre.
Contact CLD team
Information is also available from the CLD team on 01896 664160.