Published: Thursday, 07th March 2019
We are undertaking a statutory consultation in relation to the permanent closure of Hobkirk Primary School in accordance with the Schools (Consultation) (Scotland) Act 2010.
The school is currently mothballed following a sustained fall in pupil numbers. Agreement to carry out the consultation was given at a meeting of the Council’s Executive in November 2017.
The consultation will run from 7 March to 2 May 2019.
Tell us what you think of the proposal to close Hobkirk Primary School
A public meeting will be held on 16 April at 7pm at the William Laidlaw Memorial Hall, Bonchester Bridge to give people the opportunity to provide feedback on the proposal.
During the consultation period, paper copies will be available at:
- Council Headquarters, Newtown St Boswells,TD6 0SA
- Hobkirk Primary School, Buccleuch Street, Hawick, TD9 0HU
- Denholm Primary School, Denholm, Hawick, TD9 8LZ
- Hawick High School, Hawick, TD9 0EG
- Jedburgh Grammar School, Jedburgh, TD8 6DQ
- Hawick Library, North Bridge Street, Hawick TD9 9QT
A questionnaire and relevant documentation are available on our website.
They will also be provided at the public meeting or by contacting Children and Young People’s Services on 01835 825080 or at: [email protected]
Councillor Carol Hamilton, Executive Member for Children and Young People
“The decision to close a school permanently is never taken lightly and is only considered after a wide range of important and valid factors are taken into account, with our priority always to make sure that we are providing the best educational opportunities we can for pupils.
“When Hobkirk Primary was mothballed in 2015, it was because the school roll had dropped from 39 to seven over the course of the previous five years. The catchment area was then temporarily re-zoned to Denholm Primary School. This proposal seeks to formalise this arrangement which is continuing to work well for pupils and their families.
“We would therefore ask all interested parties to consider this proposal carefully and provide their feedback by taking part in the consultation.”
Outcome of consultation due in June
The outcome of the statutory consultation will be presented to Councillors in June.
- A consultation on the proposal to close Ettrick Primary School is due to close on 28 April. More information is available.
- A consultation on the proposal to close the currently mothballed Eccles/Leitholm primary school is due to be held from 14 March to 10 May. More information will be available from 14 March.