Published: Wednesday, 06th March 2019
We are undertaking a statutory consultation in relation to the permanent closure of Ettrick Primary School in accordance with the Schools (Consultation) (Scotland) Act 2010.
The consultation period will run from Monday 4 March to Sunday 28 April 2019.
The school was mothballed in 2012 following a significant decline in school roll. Agreement to carry out the consultation on the closure was given at a meeting of the Council’s Executive in November 2017.
Tell us what you think of the proposal to close Ettrick Primary School
A public meeting will be held on 26 March at 7pm at the Boston Memorial Hall, Ettrick to give people the opportunity to provide feedback on the proposal.
During the consultation period, paper copies of the relevant documentation will be available at:
- Council Headquarters, Newtown St Boswells TD6 0SA
- Ettrick Village Hall, Ettrick TD7 5JA
- Kirkhope Primary School, Ettrickbridge by Selkirk TD7 5JJ
- Yarrow Primary School, Yarrow by Selkirk TD7 5NE
- Selkirk High School, Hillside Terrace, Selkirk TD7 4EW
- Selkirk Library, Ettrick Terrace, Selkirk TD7 4LE
Paper copies of the questionnaire and other documentation will also be provided at the public meeting or by contacting our School Estates team online or calling 01835 825080.
Councillor Carol Hamilton, Executive Member for Children and Young People
“The decision to close a school permanently is never taken lightly and is only considered after a wide range of important and valid factors are taken into account, with our priority always to make sure that we are providing the best educational opportunities we can for pupils.
“When Ettrick Primary was mothballed in 2012, it was done because there were no pupils enrolled for the commencement of the school year. Since then any pupils living in the catchment area have been attending Kirkhope Primary which has worked well.
“We would therefore ask all interested parties to consider this proposal carefully and provide their feedback by taking part in the consultation.”
Outcome of consultation due in May
The outcome of the statutory consultation will be presented to elected members in May.
- See information relating to the initial consultation process.
- Consultations will also be held on Hobkirk Primary (from 7 March to 2 May) and Eccles Leitholm (from 14 March to 10 May), which are also currently mothballed. Information about these will be issued separately in due course.
- A paper will be taken to the Council's Executive at the end of April to consult on proposals to amend the catchment areas of Yarrow Primary School and Philiphaugh Community School. More information will be provided once the meeting has been held.