Published: Wednesday, 19th December 2018
Members of the public are encouraged to check our website for changes to services over the festive period.
Information is available for contact centre opening hours and waste and recycling collection changes during Christmas and New Year.
Contact centres will be closed Tuesday 25, Wednesday 26, Saturday 29 December and Tuesday 1 and Wednesday 2 January.
Some contact centres will be closed additional days during the holidays, with full details at the website.
Waste and recycling collections
Households can find out if they are affected by waste and recycling collection changes by checking the postcode look-up facility at:
- Visiting your local contact centre
- Phoning 0300 100 1800
Household waste and recycling
All collections due Tuesday 25 December and Tuesday 1 January will be collected on Saturday 22 December and Saturday 29 December with the exception of the undernoted areas in Tweeddale:
- Innerleithen North, Leithen Water, and Eshiels - due Wednesday 26 December, will be collected Thursday 27 December
- Innerleithen North, Leithen Water and Eshiels - due Tuesday 1 January, will be collected Monday 31 December
- Blyth Bridge, Baddingsgill and Dolphinton - due Tuesday 25 December, will be collected Monday 24 December
- Whitehaugh Park, Whitehaugh Ave, Forest view and Kingsmuir - due Wednesday 2 January, will be collected Thursday 3 January
Changes to households that currently receive a weekly collection
- Selkirk households that usually get a weekly collection - if due on 25 December and 1 January will be collected on Thursday 27 December and Thursday 3 January instead
- Jedburgh households that usually get a weekly collection - if due on 25 December and 1 January will be collected on Friday 28 December and Friday 4 January instead
Food waste collections – household and trade
All food waste collections due Tuesday 25 December and Tuesday 1 January will be collected Thursday 27 December and Thursday 3 January.
Commercial/trade waste collections
General waste and recycling collections due Tuesday 25 December and Tuesday 1 January in Selkirk, Galashiels and Tweedbank will be collected on Thursday 27 December and Thursday 3 January.
General waste and recycling collections due 25 December and 1 January in Kelso, Jedburgh, Hawick, Denholm and Peebles will be collected on Friday 28 December and Friday 4 January.
Cancelled between 24 December and 4 January inclusive.
Christmas trees can be taken to any community recycling centre for composting.
Community Recycling Centres
Recycling centres, transfer stations and landfill will be closed 25 and 26 December and 1 and 2 January. Recycling centres will close at 4pm on 24 and 31 December.
Services will return to normal on Thursday 3 January 2019.
Councillor Sandy Aitchison, Executive Member for Neighbourhoods and Locality Services
“Members of the public wishing to find out how our services are affected during the festive holiday period are encouraged to check our website ahead of Christmas and New Year.
“Anyone without access to the internet via computer, tablet or smart phone, can call 0300 100 1800 to find out the full details.”