Published: Tuesday, 09th October 2018
Having now employed over 120 modern apprentices over the past four years, we are encouraging other employers in the region to investigate the benefits offered by modern apprenticeships.
We are committed to providing opportunities to young people through modern apprenticeships, which are spread across our services.
A recent analysis of more than 90 modern apprentices employed since 2014 showed that many have achieved positive outcomes and gone on to secure permanent employment with us or other employers. A number have also progressed to university or college places.
Find out more information on:
- the benefits of working for us
- all vacancies on My Job Scotland
- details of our recruitment and selection process
Laura Mercer, Employment Support Worker
“I was successful in applying for a modern apprenticeship with the Council’s Employment Support Service which I completed in 15 months, before securing a full time permanent positon with the team.
“This opportunity has provided me with the skills, experience and confidence to now work with clients who require support to help them find sustainable employment of their own.”
Councillor Simon Mountford, Executive Member for Transformation and HR
“As a local employer the Council is absolutely committed to the Developing the Young Workforce programme and to providing modern apprenticeship opportunities throughout the full range of Council services.
“We recognise that it is vital that local young people have the opportunity to live, work and study in the Scottish Borders and modern apprenticeships are a key part of that.
“By increasing the work opportunities for young people the Council is not only supporting future generations but also the local economy and I’d encourage other employers to play #yourpart too and investigate the benefits that modern apprentices can bring to your business.”
- Along with our partners, we are encouraging people to play their part to keep the Borders thriving through the #yourpart campaign. The campaign encourages everyone in the Borders to ‘play their part’ to ensure high quality services can be maintained despite being faced with various challenges.
- The campaign was launched in conjunction with our Corporate Plan for 2018-2023 called ‘Our Plan and Your Part in it’.
- The plan not only outlines our plans for the next five years but it also provides a range of examples of what it needs from individuals, families, businesses, and communities in a time when where budgets are tighter than ever and demands for services are increasing.
- The campaign is also being supported by the Scottish Borders Community Planning Partnership (CPP) with the aim of ensuring the actions of communities have a positive impact across all public services.
- Find out more about how you can play #yourpart by visiting our website and tell us about what you’re doing by using #yourpart on social media.