Published: Wednesday, 04th July 2018
Residents are being invited to take part in a programme of free activities and food being provided throughout the summer in Burnfoot.
Burnfit Summer 2018 will take place between 2 July and 18 August and is for children, young people and families who live in the area. The range of activities on offer includes:
- gardening, growing and cooking project
- library reading challenge
- crafts activities
- music project
- family events organised by the Community Learning and Development team
- Active 8 sessions from Live Borders
- tea and toast, stay and play and Bookbug drop-ins at the Early Years Centre
- school workshop and cookery class for members of the Polish community.
Part of Healthy Hawick initiative
The programme is part of the Healthy Hawick initiative and aims to promote:
- physical activity
- healthy eating.
The programme has been developed by a range of partners who have been keen to take a joined-up approach with the shared aim of working together to encourage families and young people to take part:
- Community Learning and Development (CLD) team
- NHS Borders
- Burnfoot Community School and Early Years Centre
- Burnfoot Community Futures
- Live Borders
- G10 sports
- Escape Youth Café
- Police Scotland
- Hawick High
- The Polish School.
Allyson McCollam, Associate Director of Public Health
“This comprehensive and well thought out programme aims to provide a mixture of activities ranging from children only fun events through to family learning and fun together. There is also the opportunity to have a free, substantial and healthy meal which families should find both enjoyable and nutritious.
“It is being promoted through the #burnfootisbrilliant tag and we would certainly encourage the Teviot and Liddesdale community to enter into the spirit of the programme and make the most of everything that is on offer.”
The programme is available from:
- Early Years Centre
- Burnfoot Primary School
- Burnfoot Hub
Information is also available from the Community Learning and Development team on 01450 375147.