Published: Tuesday, 13th March 2018
A concert in Melrose Parish Church promises to deliver stellar performances by the Scottish Borders Wind Orchestra, Chamber Orchestra and Guitar Ensemble.
Organised by our Instrumental Music Service, it will take place on Monday 19 March at 7.30pm.
The show follows on from a weekend residential rehearsal held at Broomlee Camp near West Linton which was attended by around 60 talented and dedicated young musicians from across the region.
It will open under the direction of Ross Milligan with:
- the 1978 disco classic, YMCA by the Guitar Ensemble
- the jazz classic, Antonia by Pat Metheny
- a selection of James Bond movie themes
- a number of pieces composed for the ensemble by Ross himself.
The Chamber Orchestra will then perform music written over a 300 year period including:
- Henry Purcell’s famous Rondeau from Abdelazer, composed in 1695
- the iconic 2008 Coldplay hit, Viva La Vida
- a performance of the haunting melody, Gabriel’s Oboe from the 1986 film, The Mission by talented Peebles violinist, Sean Fraser.
The concert will end in style under the direction of Rob Hume with:
- a medley of showing stopping hits from The Blues Brothers, performed by the Chamber Orchestra and Wind Orchestra
- the Wind Band performing one of Rob's own compositions.
Tickets are available at the door - £6 each or £4 for concessions.
Councillor Euan Jardine, Executive Member for Culture and Sport
“This promises to be an impressive performance that will showcase the talents of these young musicians in a spectacular way. I wish everyone well with their last minute rehearsals and practice sessions and would ask people to make sure they arrive early and get themselves a seat for what I am sure will be a hugely popular and well attended event.”
New members needed
The Instrumental Music Service will soon be recruiting for their next session and are on the lookout for young instrumentalists interested in joining a music ensemble that will give them the chance to:
- develop ensemble and performing skills
- take part in courses and residential weekends supported by the PTA Borders Young Musicians
- enjoy a range of social activities and make new friends.
To find out more, contact the Instrumental Music Service on 01835 825097 or at: [email protected]