Published: Friday, 23rd February 2018
Independent candidate Caroline Penman has been elected as a Councillor for the Selkirkshire Ward following a by-election yesterday.
Seven candidates contested the by-election, which took place following the resignation of Michelle Ballantyne.
The overall turnout was 45.1%.
Councillor Penman joins Councillor Gordon Edgar and Councillor Elaine Thornton Nicol in representing the ward.
Electronic count Friday 23 February 2018
The electronic count took place this morning at Scottish Borders Council Headquarters, with Councillor Penman elected at stage seven.
Tracey Logan, Returning Officer
“Both the electronic count and the voting yesterday ran very smoothly and I would like to thank all the staff involved across both days.”
The candidates were:
- Trevor Adams, Scottish Conservative and Unionist
- Jack Clark, Scottish Liberal Democrats
- Kenneth Gunn, Independent
- Barbra Harvie, Scottish Green Party
- John Mitchell, Scottish National Party
- Caroline Penman, Independent
- Scott Redpath, Scottish Labour Party
The full breakdown of the result will be available on our website later today.
Images from the count
A selection of images from the count is available from our Flickr page.