Published: Wednesday, 21st February 2018
We are holding a series of engagement events on how future secondary education provision could look for the four communities of Galashiels, Hawick, Peebles and Selkirk.
The events are being held at the high schools as follows:
- Tuesday 13 March, Galashiels Academy, 2.15-8pm
- Tuesday 20 March, Selkirk High; 2.15-8pm
- Wednesday 21 March, Hawick High; 2.15-8pm
- Monday 26 March, Peebles High; 2.15-8pm
The Galashiels Academy event was originally scheduled for 6 March but was postponed due to the bad weather.
Feedback can also be provided online from 13 March to 16 April 2018.
Assessment of schools being undertaken
The events and survey are being held as part of a detailed assessment currently being undertaken of the four schools. This is looking at:
- the suitability, condition and capacity of each school
- the readiness and opportunities within each community to deliver an exciting vision as part of the Schools for the Future programme.
Agreement to the process was given by the Executive on 7 November 2017 with the outcome due to be brought back to elected members in May 2018.
Councillor Carol Hamilton, Executive Member for Children and Young People
“There has been a great deal of interest and excitement generated about the future of these four high schools with pupils, staff and local communities already thinking about what they might like to put forward for consideration.
“What we now need is for everyone to come along to these events to share their ideas with us. It will also be a chance for them to speak to officers about the information that has been collected so far and hear more about the opportunities that could be available to them in terms of shaping the vision for secondary provision in their communities.”