Published: Wednesday, 18th January 2017
Essential work associated with the Hawick Flood Protection Scheme requires a section of Commercial Road to close for three weeks.
What is happening?
- The section between North Bridge roundabout and Bruce Motors will be shut from Wednesday 25 January for three weeks
- This is to allow the Hawick Flood Protection Scheme team to confirm the suitability of the road structure for future flood defences along Commercial Road, which is part of the A7 road
- All businesses in the closed section will still be accessible for members of the public via the signed diversion route
- A loop road system using Princes Street and the High Street will aim to keep traffic moving during the closure.
Was there no other options?
The project team have worked closely with Transport Scotland and our roads department to consider a number of options, including the use of traffic lights. However, this could have potentially extended the works to 10 weeks.
Executive Member for Roads and Infrastructure, Councillor Gordon Edgar
“The Council realises this will be a major inconvenience to some people in the town and beyond but these works are vital to taking the Hawick Flood Protection Scheme forward.
“The project team need to know the current condition of the road structure in order to take forward suitable flood defences for this part of Hawick, which has previously been badly hit by flooding from the nearby River Teviot.
“The project team, SBC roads department and Transport Scotland will monitor the closure throughout its duration to ensure the diversion route is working safely and effectively.”
How is the Hawick Flood Protection Scheme progressing?
- The Scheme is currently in the outline design phase
- It has already received the first tranche of funding from the Scottish Government, which has provided an initial £1.34million
- If approved, the Government will provide 80 per cent (£29.2m) of the overall costs, which currently stands at £36.4m.
A map of the closed section and signed diversion route is available at our Flickr page.
Transport Scotland is responsible for the section of the A7 road from Kingsknowes Roundabout to the English border.