Published: Tuesday, 24th November 2015
An innovative new model of integrated early years’ service provision has been opened in Burnfoot, Hawick.
The Early Years Centre is based within the Burnfoot Community School. It will offer a range of drop-in facilities and programmes for parents and children, aged 9 months to 8 years, from the local area.
Early Years Centre services
The services that will be available include:
- early learning and childcare
- family support
- home school link
- financial help in the early years
- adult learning
- health visiting
- school nursing
Volunteering and training opportunities will also be offered.
Centre holiday dates
The Centre will be available during the day and throughout the school holidays excluding Christmas and New Year.
Councillor Sandy Aitchison, Executive Member for Education
“This is the third Early Years Centre to be opened in the Borders with the Langlee and Selkirk communities already experiencing the wide range of benefits that these Centres provide. I am delighted that young children and their families in the Hawick area are now able to access the range of services on offer and would encourage them to make full use of this excellent facility.”
Free vitamins for mums and kids
The event also saw the launch of a new service which will provide free vitamins for women who are pregnant or wishing to become pregnant, and children under five who are resident in the Hawick area.
Dr Allyson McCollam, Joint Head of Health Improvement for NHS Borders
“Vitamins are essential nutrients that your body needs in small amounts so that it can work properly. Even though you can get lots of vitamins from a healthy balanced diet, you still might not get everything you need at certain times in your life, such as when you’re pregnant, a new mum or a small child. So UK health departments recommend that at these times you should take a supplement containing specific vitamins to make sure you get everything you need. We hope those entitled to these free vitamins through this service will make the most of this opportunity.”
Contact Burnfoot Early Years Centre
- Call the team on 01450 375147
- Like Burnfoot Early Years Centre’s Facebook page
- Pop in to the Burnfoot Community School, Kenilworth Avenue, Hawick TD9 8EQ
Other Early Years Centres in the Borders
- Langlee, Galashiels
- Philiphaugh, Selkirk
- Eyemouth due to open in spring 2016
The Burnfoot Early Years Centre was designed by our in-house architect service. Their brief was to update and alter the existing community centre to suit the needs of the centre. This included:
- moving the crèche to a bigger space
- making the lounge bigger
- resizing and updating the kitchen to give a more domestic feel for learning cooking skills
- installing changing facilities, toilets and a medical room
- relocating and updating the computer and multi-agency rooms
- bringing the electrical wiring up to the latest standards; energy efficient and cost effective LED lights were used where possible
- updating the courtyard to provide an outdoor play and teaching space which can also be used by the school nursery - this has a usable floor area, new play-top safe surfacing and a climbing frame.