Information about you

Access to personal information

You have the right to ask to see information held by the Council about you. If there is a good reason then we may not be able to provide it but we will always tell you why we cannot supply it.

If you are seeking to make a request for information that is not about you then please visit make an information request section.

Making a subject access request


  • write to us with your name and an e-mail or postal address to which we can reply
  • state what information your would like as clearly and specifically as you can.

You can make a request by completing our online form or by e-mail/letter to us.

If we are not sure what information you require we will contact you to help you make a valid request.

If you are not known to us personally, you will also be asked to verify your identity before we can proceed.

A request on behalf of another person

If you are making a request on behalf of someone else then you will need to either prove power of attorney or include a letter signed by the individual containing their full name, date of birth, address and contact phone number which includes permission to act on their behalf.

Proof of identity

When we receive a request for information we need to make certain you are who you say you are before disclosing personal information.

If we need to verify your identity, we will contact you to arrange an appointment to meet with you, at one of our offices. You will need to bring a form of photo ID, such as a passport or driving licence to be checked. If you do not hold a photo ID then you will need to bring 2 forms of identification for checking, such as:

  • photo ID (such as passport or driving licence)
  • recent utility bill or bank statement in the last 3 months
  • birth or marriage certificate

Time to respond

We have 40 days to respond to your request beginning from the date we receive your request, location, proof of identity and fee as appropriate. If the response includes a pupil's education record then this changes to 15 school days.

Is there a charge?

A charge of £10 will be made unless the information requested is:

  • a social work record
  • a pupil's educational record
  • an SBC employee HR file

Receiving information

We will always provide information securely. Depending on the type of information, we may provide it as a document or we may invite you to view the information in person.

How we look after your information

We make sure that your information is kept safe and secure. We achieve this by applying the eight Data Protection principles

Download our Data Protection code of practice