How to appeal or complain

How can I appeal or make a complaint?

You have the right to appeal any decision made by your Homelessness Officer. This will be explained to you during the assessment process and in your original decision letter.

If we have provided you with temporary accommodation, this will continue during the course of the appeal and until the outcome is communicated to you.

How long do I have to make an appeal?

You must appeal the original decision no more than 21 days from the date you receive your original decision letter.

Your request for an appeal can be made verbally or in writing.

Who will carry out the review?

A senior officer who was not involved in the original decision will carry out the review.

Your Homelessness Officer will assist you in the appeals process if you request a verbal review:

  • they will take a statement on the reasons for the request and forward this to the homelessness manager for his/her consideration
  • you will be asked to sign the statement as a true record
  • if you prefer to give this statement to a homeless officer who was not originally involved in your application this can be arranged

The appeal has two stages.

Making a complaint

If you wish to complain about a homelessness decision, you should use the appeals process.

If you want to complain about the quality of service you received from us or how you feel you were dealt with during the appeals process you can make a complaint by:

When you make your complaint remember to tell us:

  • your full name and address
  • as much as you can about the complaint
  • what has gone wrong
  • how you want us to resolve the matter

You may be unable, or reluctant to make a complaint yourself. We can take complaints from a friend, relative or an advocate, if you have given them your consent to complain for you.

For further details, including how we deal with your complaint, see our complaints procedure.

Significant Performance Failures

Significant Performance Failures (SPF) are a way for tenants who live in social housing to raise serious concerns when their landlord’s action, or failure to take action, puts tenants’ interests at risk.


  • significantly affects a number of the landlord’s tenants
  • is not an individual tenant complaint about services
  • could happen where a social landlord fails to carry out health and safety requirements, such as annual gas safety checks, or does not maintain tenants’ homes or carry out repairs in line with its legislative duties and published policies

You can identify and report serious performance failure to the Scottish Housing Regulator. You can find more information on SPFs on the Housing Regulator website