Homelessness Services have a mediation service for young people aged between 15 to 18 years of age who are experiencing conflict at home - however, mediation may be considered for young people outwith this age range.
The mediation service:
- aims to help reduce family conflict and focuses on maintaining and improving relationships
- is run by trained professionals who will remain neutral and will not judge you or you family
- is aimed at young people aged between 15-18 years (If you are the parent of a young person within this age range and feel that your family may benefit from mediation, you can also ask us for help)
How does mediation work?
Mediation is a way of helping you and your family talk and work through any problems which you may be experiencing. You may be:
- having problems at school or college
- arguing with your parents
- finding it difficult to accept a new person who has joined the family
Mediation can be used at any point up until a young person has been asked to leave the home. Even after a young person has left the family home, mediation can still be a useful tool in preserving relationships.
Mediation is most successful when it is used early in any conflict but it is important to remember that everyone involved needs to be committed to resolving the issues
Request the mediation service
If you think that you or your family may benefit from mediation, contact the Homelessness Team.