Community Assistance Hubs

Our key priority continues to be making sure that the most vulnerable people in our communities receive the support they need. This includes people currently in receipt of social care and health services and anyone who is identified as being at particular risk or has been advised to self isolate. 

  • Multi-agency Community Assistance Hubs (CAHs) have been set up in each locality as part of a co-ordinated response between ourselves, NHS Borders, the Third/Voluntary Sector and local Resilient Communities Groups.
  • The Hubs are also co-ordinating, alongside Resilient Communities Groups, the support that is being provided by people and organisations willing to play their part and volunteer their support.

To keep up to date with the latest information and guidance for vulnerable groups visit the Scottish Government website and NHS Inform website

Support for people needing a social care and health service

If you already receive a social care and health support service, you should continue to liaise with your existing provider. If your circumstances have changed, phone 0300 100 1800 for advice.

How many Hubs are there in the Borders?

Hubs are operating from central locations in Berwickshire, Tweeddale, Cheviot, Teviot and Liddesdale and Eildon to make sure the teams can respond flexibly and quickly to the needs of local communities.

They are not open to the public or able to provide a drop in service.

How do I access help from the Hubs?

If you need help from a Hub, you can complete our online form or call Customer Advice and Support on 0300 100 1800 and select option seven. 

You should continue to contact your GP or NHS 24 111 if you need advice about your health or any medical condition. In an emergency, call 999.

Health and wellbeing advice

  • NHS Inform provides the most update to date guidance on coronavirus, including mental health support. There is advice on how to stay informed, create a healthy home routine, stay connected with friends and family and where you can turn to for advice and guidance
  • The Wellbeing Point on the NHS Borders website provides information about a range of support services available both locally and nationally that you may find helpful
  • Clear Your Head provides advice on how to look after your mental wellbeing, including tips on how to stay positive and feel better
  • SAMH has a developed specific information on COVID-19 and your mental wellbeing
  • Age Scotland provides information and advice for anyone aged 50 and over, as well as a free, confidential helpline 0800 12 44 222 (Monday to Friday 9am-5pm)
  • Alzheimer Scotland has a 24 hour Freephone Dementia Helpline 0808 808 3000
  • The Royal Voluntary Service is providing a programme of themed online activities designed to help beat the boredom of isolation, as well as other hints and tips for staying active and connected
  • Shared Care Scotland has developed a directory of short breaks for strange times. These include everything from online courses, virtual museums, exercise programmes, read-alongs, and websites for children and young people, as well as support services that are delivering online

How do I play my part and volunteer to help in my local community?

If you want to register as a volunteer within your Community Council area, email where you will be directed to your local Resilient Communities Coordinator. These groups are continuing to provide support and assistance within your community. Find out more about Resilient Communities.