Community Assistance Hubs (CAHs)


What is shielding and how does it work?

  • Shielding is for people, including children, who are at very high risk of severe illness from COVID-19. It’s also for their family, friends and carers.
  • If you are required to shield, you should stay at home for at least 12 weeks and avoid as much face to face contact as you can.
  • The latest information about shielding is available from the Scottish Government and NHS Inform websites.

How do I know if I need to shield?

  • The Scottish Government has sent letters to people identified as being at extremely high risk of severe illness from COVID-19.
  • The list of people who are receiving these has been compiled by NHS Scotland – more information about the criteria they have applied is available on the NHS Inform website.
  • If you haven’t received a letter and think you are at risk, please contact your GP or health specialist for advice. The Council is unable to get people added tot he shielding list.

How do I get help with shopping and food deliveries?

  • If you have received a letter, this asks you to sign up for the national SMS Shielding Service by sending a text from your mobile to 07860 064 525. You will need to provide the 10 digit CHI number at the top of your letter. Once registered, you will be able to get help with food and household items, including a free weekly grocery box and priority access to supermarket deliveries.
  • If you don’t have a mobile phone or find it difficult to sign up, our Customer Advice and Support team can help you to register for the Shielding Service
  • You can also contact us on 0300 100 1800 Option 7 if there is anything else in your letter that you would like help with.

Can I get someone to deliver my medication?

Our Community Assistance Hubs will be able to help with this. Phone Customer Advice and Support on 0300 100 1800 Option 7 for advice.

What should my family members do if I am shielding?

The rest of your household isn’t required to adopt shielding measures for themselves. However, they should support you by following the guidance on social distancing available on the NHS inform website

What help can I get if I’m required to self-isolate or am at home due to illness?

If you have been advised to self-isolate, practice social distancing or stay at home due to illness, the Hubs can provide assistance with food, shopping and delivery of medication as well as regular check-ins to see that everything is okay.

What can I do to support my mental health and general wellbeing?

  • NHS Inform provides the most update to date guidance on coronavirus, including mental health support. There is advice on how to stay informed, create a healthy home routine, stay connected with friends and family and where you can turn to for advice and guidance.
  • The Wellbeing Point on the NHS Borders website provides information about a range of support services available both locally and nationally that you may find helpful.
  • Age Scotland provides information and advice for anyone aged 50 and over, as well as a free, confidential helpline: 0800 12 44 222 (Mon-Fri 9am-5pm).
  • SAMH has a developed specific information on COVID-19 and your mental wellbeing.
  • Clear Your Head provides advice on how to look after your mental wellbeing, including tips on how to stay positive and feel better.
  • Shared Care Scotland has developed a directory of 'short breaks for strange times'. These include everything from online courses, virtual museums, exercise programmes, read-alongs, and websites for children and young people, as well as support services that are delivering online.

What should I do if I’m worried about a neighbour?

If you are concerned about a neighbour or relative who you think is at risk, call us on 0300 100 1800 Option 7 for advice.

I’m worried about money – what advice is available?

See our financial assistance FAQs for more information.