COVID-19 service updates

Registration Service

Remote Registration of Deaths and Still Births

How does the registration begin?

The Medical Certificate of Cause of Death (MCCD) will be sent by email from the Doctor to one of our Registration offices. If you would like a copy we can send this to you by email.

To start the death registration process you can phone us on 0300 100 1800 or email [email protected] 

What information will I need to provide when I contact SBC?

You’ll be asked for:

  • your contact details, including a phone number and an email address if you have one
  • details about the deceased person’s birth and marriage(s)
  • any information relating to any relevant life events for the deceased person, which took place outside Scotland

How do they register the death without me being there?

The Registrar will complete the paperwork and send it to you by email, or read it out to you, to confirm that it’s accurate. You won’t be able to attend the Registration office at any point. 

Instead, you’ll be asked how you usually sign your name, and the Registrar will write that signature in the register page followed by “(Transcribed)” to indicate that you remotely agree that this is accurate on the date specified. 

How do I receive the death certificate?

An abbreviated death extract will be posted to you. If you would like a full death extract, you can pay the £10 fee (per copy) by card over the phone and it will be posted to you. This is the same fee that you would have paid if you had attended a registration office.

What do I do once the registration has taken place?

If you know the name of the Funeral Director who will be dealing with the funeral arrangements, the Registrar can email them the Certificate of Registration direct.

If you don’t yet know who is making the arrangements the certificate will be emailed/posted to you.

You can then continue to make the arrangements for burial or cremation.

Registration of Births

The following Registration Offices are now open to allow for birth registrations to take place:

  • Galashiels
  • Hawick
  • Peebles
  • Eyemouth

We will work to ensure that the births are registered as quickly as possible, but your patience will be much appreciated as the backlog of registrations is processed.

If you have not already done so, please phone 0300 100 1800 to arrange a call back, with the Registrar.

At the call back you will be asked for the following information:

  • contact details, including your phone number and email address
  • information about the child’s birth, such as full name, date, time and place of birth
  • information about the parent(s) to be shown in the birth entry. Once the information has been gathered by phone, the registrar will take a credit/debit card payment for any full birth certificates you require
  • an appointment for you to attend the Registration Office to check all of the information is correct on the register page, and to sign the entry for the register

Marriages and Civil Partnership

The following restrictions are in place for marriage and civil partnerships:

  • the maximum number of people allowed to attend a marriage or civil partnership is 20, with physical distancing in place and where venues are able to allow that number to attend safely
  • this figure sets marriage and civil partnership on a different footing from wider gatherings (where household and number restrictions remain), the maximum attendance of 20 people does not include any limitation on numbers of households
  • the maximum figure encompasses all those at the ceremony, including children, carers supporting any attendee, photographers, musicians or any other person employed by the couple, etc.
  • this figure also applies to both outdoor and indoor ceremonies (where venue capacity allows the ceremony to take place safely)

Any further changes to numbers will depend on health protection advice.

Marriage Notice Forms

Marriage and Civil Partnership notices, witness form and terms and conditions forms should be posted, with all associated original documentation, to the registration office in the district where the ceremony is to take place. Couples must give the minimum of 29 days’ notice.

Can I can postpone or cancel my marriage ceremony?

Should you wish to postpone or cancel a marriage or civil partnership ceremony, please phone 0300 100 1800 to speak to a Registrar.

Replacement Copy Certificates

Can I still order copies?

Replacement certificates can still be ordered and you should phone 0300 100 1800 or email [email protected]

Citizenship Ceremonies

How do I book a ceremony?

You normally have to book the ceremony within three months of being sent an invitation form the Home Office, but this period has been extended to six months at this time.

The Home Office are keeping this under constant review, but your application won’t be affected because of the delay caused by COVID-19.   

Funeral Support Payment

The Government has a funeral support payment which helps to pay for some funeral costs. Find out more on the Scottish Government website.