Conservation areas have special architectural or historic interest and we want to preserve or enhance their character or appearance.
Conservation area designation ensures that each area's special qualities are maintained by:
- keeping important features
- prevention of insensitive new development
Change is not forbidden but it is carefully controlled.
Conservation area maps
Find out if you live in a conservation area by viewing our maps of all conservation areas in the Scottish Borders. Alternatively you can view conservation areas by using our online web-mapping tool, Find It.
Current conservation areas
- Allanton, Ancrum, Ayton
- Carlops, Clintmains, Cockburnspath, Coldingham, Coldstream
- Darnick, Denholm, Dryburgh, Duns
- Eddleston, Eyemouth
- Galashiels, Gattonside, Gavinton, Greenlaw
- Melrose, Midlem, Minto, Morebattle
- Newcastleton, Newstead, Nisbet
- Selkirk, Skirling, Smailholm, St Abbs, St Boswells, Stow, Swinton
- West Linton