Latest update: 10am Wednesday 15 January
- From Monday 9 December S4-S6 pupils are receiving face-to-face teaching from PHS staff within locations in Galashiels. This will continue for Monday 6 January to Thursday 9 January, after which exam leave starts.
- All S4-S6 pupils will return to Peebles HS on Monday 3 Feb, with S1-S3 returning on Tuesday 4 Feb.
- S1-S3 pupils are receiving face–to-face teaching within Peebles at alternative locations.Details available in our S1-S3 FAQs
How are S4-S6 pupils getting to their new learning environment?
- Transport arrrangements for S4-S6 pupils will continue to operate for the four days after the Christmas break as they did prior to the holidays.
- From Friday 10 January school transport timings will return to normal. S1-S3 pupils will be dropped off at Kingsmeadows and S4-S6 pupils then taken on to the Bus D at the High School.
- Support has been available at both Kingsmeadows and Galashiels to help pupils with transport arrangments. Our thanks go to those parents who volunteered to help as well.
Where are students being taught?
- S4-S6 students are being educated in the following two locations:
- Galashiels Academy Extension Building
- Langlee Complex, Marigold Drive
- Students are being taught by PHS teachers and in their existing class groupings.
- With staff teaching in both Peebles and Galashiels, decisions have had to be made about which teacher is based where, so some classes may not be taught by their existing teacher, but will be taught by a subject specialist. Where this is to happen, there has been a transfer of information between teachers to ensure a smooth transition.
- Transport between sites is being provided. The morning break has been extended to accommodate travel time.
What about students with complex needs?
- Regardless of year group, all complex needs students from PHS will attend the enhanced provision at Galashiels Academy.
- This has been in place since Tuesday 3 December and pupils have settled in well.
What about college learning?
- Students who attend college on Tuesday and Thursday afternoons will continue to attend as normal during the exam leave period, where there is no clash with exams. More information is available on the Prelim page.
- S5-S6 students can access the Galashiels public library and Volunteer Hall when they have study periods. Teaching staff will be able to provide more information about these locations if required.
- Pupils are reminded that these are public buildings and they should maintain high standards of behaviour at all times.
What is the learning offer?
- Senior students are continuing with their existing courses. However, there is limited access to practical areas so there is a stronger focus on the theoretical aspects of SQA courses in the short term.
- Staff are continuing to refine the timetable wherever possible to ensure that pupils are getting the most effective learning offer that can be provided for them.
Are all courses and levels covered?
- Yes, this has been a major priority for staff.
Can students opt for home learning?
- No, S4-S6 students will be expected to attend the learning provision in Galashiels and S1-S3 students their allocated provision in Peebles.
- Home learning enabled students to progress with their education immediately after the fire but is not a replacement for face to face teaching.
- A huge amount of learning has been available on Show my Homework, but this is likely to reduce over time as teachers focus their efforts on direct teaching.
What are the timings of the day?
- Monday to Thursday, learning for students will begin at 9.30am. Lunch will take place from 1.15pm. Students will leave Galashiels by bus at 3.15pm as per travel arrangements
What happens at break and lunchtimes?
- Seniors have a different break and lunchtime to Galashiels Academy students to prevent long queues for food and overcrowding of social areas.
- Breaktime is taking place between 11am-11.30am. Students at the Academy location have access to the canteen at breaktime but cash is needed as cashless catering is not available for PHS pupils.
- Lunchtime takes place between 1.15-2.05pm. Free soup and sandwiches are available daily in both locations. Special dietary requirements are being catered for.
- ParentPay is currently suspended. Any existing credit on your account will remain.
- Students have access to local retailers in Galashiels during their lunch break and are reminded that they are representing Peebles High when they are in the local community. A map of Galashiels is available for pupils walking from the Academy down town
- All students are being registered each day as per normal practice.
- Groupcalls will be sent to parents if a student does not attend their designated location.
- Parents/carers are asked to notify the school of any absences and likely duration.
- Senior students with study periods at the beginning of the day will be required to register before attending a quiet space to study.
How can parents advise of any absences?
- Parents should report any absences via our online form
How can parents contact students during the school day?
- Please contact 01721 720975.
- Parents’ evenings for senior students will take place in the new year. This is to allow teachers to provide detailed feedback on progress and following the prelim examinations. Updated details will be provided as soon as these are available..
- Senior students will sit their preliminary examinations after Christmas - more information is available on our dedicated page.
- Students are encouraged to make use of the online resources available to help to fully prepare for these important examinations.
- All of the SQA assessment arrangement requests and supporting evidence has been retrieved from PHS and eligible students will be informed in due course.
- An initial meeting has been held with the SQA who are now fully aware of and supportive of the challenges we face. Meetings will continue to be held and information provided to parents and pupils as soon as this is available.
Health and safety
- Locations have been risk-assessed and are accessible for all pupils. Routes between locations have also been risk-assessed.
- Locations have access to a phone and first aid provision. Medical information has been shared with relevant staff.
Support for pupils
- We recognise the importance of support for students, both in the short term and over the coming weeks, ranging from pastoral and wellbeing through to career and curricular support.
- School pastoral staff are available to provide any support that is required. Quarriers workers are also be available to provide emotional and wellbeing support.
- Pastoral support for staff is available in both Galashiels and Peebles.
- Skills Development Scotland time is being spent mainly in Galashiels.
- Community Learning and Development staff are working with young people in Peebles.
- Educational Psychology services are based in Peebles.
Where can I get more information?
- If students have any queries, they should speak to their class teacher in the first instance.
- Updates will continue to be provided on our dedicated page.