There are a number of organisations that offer free advice and support on a variety of issues.
Debt and financial support
- The NHS Borders Money Worries App is free and contains a directory of support available both nationally and locally. It covers a range of issues such as debt, energy saving, housing and health. Search for NHS Borders Money Worries App on the Apple App Store or Google Play Store or download directly for Android or Apple devices.
- Citizens Advice Bureau can help with income maximisation and advice on bills, as well as a range of other issues.
- The Scottish Government has dedicated webpages with advice on debt and money worries.
- Every year hundreds of millions of pounds in vital financial support go unclaimed by older people in Scotland. Age Scotland has launched the “Check in, Cash out” campaign to raise awareness and increase take-up of this support.
Mental health and wellbeing support
- NHS Borders has a number of services in the region which provide health and well being support
- The Scottish Government has published specific advice on health and wellbeing
- Young Scot provides a range of information and advice
- The Domestic Abuse Advcocacy Support (DAAS) service provides support for anyone who is experiencing domestic abuse. This can include financial control where victims have no control over, access to or use of income. DAAS can help victims access information and support to regain control of their finances and works in partnership with local services and national financial institutions. If you, or anyone you know is experiencing domestic abuse, please call DAAS on 01835 825024. Alternatively you can call for confidential, free advice from the national Domestic Abuse helpline on 0800 027 1234.
- Free Period Products: We are committed to the provision of free period products to everyone who may need to access these for themselves, on behalf of others, and for visitors to the area. Free period products are currently available in schools, as well as council buildings across the Borders - including community centres and libraries. We are currently extending this provision and will have free period products in more community settings. A list of venues providing free period products will be published shortly. Meantime, you can call Customer Advice and Support on 0300 100 1800 to request a pack of sanitary products.
- Home Energy Scotland has expert advisors offering free, impartial advice on energy saving, keeping warm at home, renewable energy, greener travel, cutting water waste and more.
- Berwickshire Housing Association - 01361 884000
- Eildon Housing Association - 03000 200217
- Scottish Borders Housing Association - 01750 724400 / 01750 724444
- Homelessness Services, Paton Street, Galashiels, TD1 3AS - 0300 375 1138 or 01896 752111 (after hours)
- Changeworks is a Scottish environmental charity delivering solutions for low carbon living
- Waverley Housing - 01450 364200
Live Borders – Library Service
Live Borders offer a variety of free resources through their library services including:
- Press reader:
Enjoy unlimited access to more than 7,000 of the world’s top newspapers and magazines as soon as they’re available. No limits on downloads – they’re yours to keep!
- Borrow Box:
Over 2,500 eBooks and Audiobooks at your fingertips. Borrow directly to your device!
- Lego and Bookbug sessions for children
- Mobile and local library service
All of these free services are available to existing library members, or you can sign up for free and find out more here
Budget friendly recipes
The Joint Health Improvement team have developed two new budget friendly recipe booklets with a range of ideas to help you cook easy, low cost nutritious meals.
- Eat Well in Winter – offering a selection of recipes that are nutritious, taste good and will help you to eat a balanced diet to keep well in winter.
- Low and Slow - focuses on slow cooking as a way of preparing nutritious meals that use less energy.
For more information and to download a PDF version of the booklets, visit the NHS Borders website.
Other support services
- Berwickshire Help - Find help with food, heating, clothing, money and more