- Operating an animal welfare establishment
- Brief description
Under the Regulations an animal welfare establishment means a place, or places, in Scotland where:
-relevant animals that have been abandoned or otherwise separated from their keeper including as a result of a relevant relinquishment or a relevant seizure
-sick, injured or captured relevant animals that were previously living in a wild state, are kept for their care
Animal welfare establishments must be licensed.
- License period
The Animal Welfare (Licensing of Activities Involving Animals) (Scotland) Regulations 2021 allow us to issue licences with a duration of one, two or three years.
In determining the duration of a licence we must be satisfied that the period to be granted is appropriate on the basis of its assessment of the following:
- the risk of the applicant breaching the licence conditions (including any particular licence conditions to be attached to the licence by us in relation to that particular operator)
- the possible impact of any such breaches on the welfare of any animals
- whether the applicant is already operating to higher standards of animal welfare than required by the licence conditions
£294 – the fee covers the costs involved in the application process and is non-refundable.
You should note that after payment, full consideration and processing, your licence may not be granted.
£610 - 3 year licence for renewals based on risk assessment
The application fee will not be refunded to you even if your licence is not granted.
A veterinary surgeon may also be appointed by us to assist officers undertaking inspections in relation to licence applications. You will be invoiced separately after the inspection to recover any veterinary costs incurred.
- Download application
- Animal welfare establishment
- Conditions of application
- All businesses/charities operating an animal welfare establishment must comply with general conditions
- Operating an animal welfare establishment license schedule A - general conditions
- Specific conditions
- All businesses/charities operating an animal welfare establishment must also comply with specific licence conditions
- Operating an animal welfare establishment license schedule B - specific conditions
- Trading Standards and Animal Health
- Council Headquarters, Newtown St Boswells, Melrose TD6 0SA
- 0300 100 1800
- Privacy notice - animal licences
- Information on how we process your personal data