- Engaging in animal rehoming activities (other than in the course of operating an animal welfare establishment)
- Brief description
You are required to be licensed if you are engaging in animal rehoming activities.
Under the Regulations “engaging in animal rehoming activities” means supplying an animal to a person in Scotland to be kept as a pet, regardless of the country of origin of the animal, provided that the:
-animal is not a fish
-animal was not bred by the supplier
-person being supplied takes receipt of the animal in Scotland from the supplier of the animal or a person delivering the animal on behalf of the supplier
-supply takes place during a 12 month period in which at least four other such animals are supplied by the supplier to persons in Scotland to be kept as pets
- License period
The Animal Welfare (Licensing of Activities Involving Animals) (Scotland) Regulations 2021 allow us to issue licences with a duration of one, two or three years.
In determining the duration of a licence we must be satisfied that the period to be granted is appropriate on the basis of its assessment of the following:
-the risk of the applicant breaching the licence conditions (including any particular licence conditions to be attached to the licence by us in relation to that particular operator)
-the possible impact of any such breaches on the welfare of any animals
-whether the applicant is already operating to higher standards of animal welfare than required by the licence conditions
Fees cover costs involved in the application process and are non refundable.
£730 - 3 year licence for renewals base don risk assessment criteria
You should note that after payment, full consideration and processing, your licence may not be granted.
The application fee will not be refunded to you even if your licence is not granted.
A veterinary surgeon may also be appointed by us to assist officers undertaking inspections in relation to licence applications. You will be invoiced separately after the inspection to recover any veterinary costs incurred.
- Download application
- Rehoming of animals
- Conditions of application
- All businesses, charities or individuals engaging in animal rehoming activities (other than in the course of operating an animal welfare establishment) must comply with general conditions
- Animal rehoming license schedule A - general conditions
- Specific conditions
- Businesses, charities or individuals engaging in animal rehoming activities (other than in the course of operating an animal welfare establishment) must also comply with specific licence conditions
- Animal rehoming license schedule B - specific conditions
- Trading Standards
- Council Headquarters, Newtown St Boswells, Melrose TD6 0SA
- 0300 100 1800
- Privacy notice - animal licences
- Information on how we process your personal data