- Selling animals as pets
- Brief description
- Under the Regulations any person selling animals as pets in the course of a business, selling animals with the expectation that they will be resold as pets in the course of a business, keeping animals in the course of a business with a view to them being sold as pets, or keeping animals in the course of a business with a view them being resold as pets must be licensed.
- License period
The Animal Welfare (Licensing of Activities Involving Animals) (Scotland) Regulations 2021 allow us to issue licences with a duration of one, two or three years.
In determining the duration of a licence we must be satisfied that the period to be granted is appropriate on the basis of its assessment of the following:
- the risk of the applicant breaching the licence conditions (including any particular licence conditions to be attached to the licence by us in relation to that particular operator)
- the possible impact of any such breaches on the welfare of any animals
- whether the applicant is already operating to higher standards of animal welfare than required by the licence conditions
£393 – the fee covers the costs involved in the application process and is non-refundable.
You should note that after payment, full consideration and processing, your licence may not be granted.
£810 - 3 year licence for renewals from 23/24
The application fee will not be refunded to you even if your licence is not granted.
A veterinary surgeon may also be appointed by us to assist officers undertaking inspections in relation to licence applications. You will be invoiced separately after the inspection to recover any veterinary costs incurred.
- Download application
- Selling animals as pets application form
- Conditions of application
- All businesses selling animals as pets must comply with general conditions
- Animal licensing schedule A - general conditions
- Specific conditions
- All businesses selling animals as pets must also comply with specific licence conditions
- Animal licensing schedule B - selling animals as pets
- Trading Standards and Animal Health
- Council Headquarters, Newtown St Boswells, Melrose TD6 0SA
- 0300 100 1800
- Privacy notice - animal licences
- Information on how we process your personal data