- Breeding of animals - dogs, cats and rabbits
- Brief description
- Under the Regulations any person breeding three or more litters of kittens or puppies or six or more litters of kits in any 12 month period must be licensed.
- License period
The Animal Welfare (Licensing of Activities Involving Animals) (Scotland) Regulations 2021 allow us to issue licences with a duration of one, two or three years.
In determining the duration of a licence we must be satisfied that the period to be granted is appropriate on the basis of its assessment of the following:
-the risk of the applicant breaching the licence conditions (including any particular licence conditions to be attached to the licence by us in relation to that particular operator)
-the possible impact of any such breaches on the welfare of any animals
-whether the applicant is already operating to higher standards of animal welfare than required by the licence conditions
£378 - fees cover costs involved in the application process and are non refundable.
You should note that after payment, full consideration and processing, your licence may not be granted.
The application fee will not be refunded to you even if your licence is not granted.
£780 - 3 years dependent on risk assessment
A veterinary surgeon may also be appointed by us to assist officers undertaking inspections in relation to licence applications. You will be invoiced separately after the inspection to recover any veterinary costs incurred.
- Download application
- Breeding of animals
- Conditions of application
- All breeding establishments must comply with general conditions
- Animal licensing schedule A - general conditions
- Specific conditions
- Each breeding establishment must also comply with specific licence conditions
- Animal licensing schedule B - breeding cats
- Animal licensing schedule B - breeding dogs
- Animal licensing schedule B - breeding rabbits
- Trading Standards and Animal Health
- Council Headquarters, Newtown St Boswells, Melrose TD6 0SA
- 0300 100 1800
- Privacy notice - animal licences
- Information on how we process your personal data