What benefits are available?

Are you entitled to benefits?

To find out if you are able to get any benefits you can use either of these free online benefits calulators:

  • entitledto - calculations include all benefits and can also detail how your income would be affected if you start or finish work.
  • turn2us - calculations include income related benefits such as Disability Living Allowance or Universal Credit.

Help with your rent and Council Tax

If you are on a low income or claim any of the benefits listed below, you may be able to get help to pay your rent. You could also get a reduction in your council tax.

  • Income based Jobseekers Allowance
  • Income related Employment and Support Allowance
  • Income Support
  • Universal Credit
  • Pension Credit

Find out how to apply for:

Other benefits you could be missing out on

Pension credit

You can claim pension credit if you or your partner have reached state pension age. There are 2 types:

  • Pension credit guarantee if you have a low income
  • Pension credit savings credit if you have saved some money for your retirement (you can only make a new claim for Savings Pension Credit if you had reached State Pension Age prior to 6 April 2016).

You can find out how much pension credit you can get by using the pension credit calculator. For more information and how to claim pension credit go to the Government website.

Attendance allowance

You may be entitled to attendance allowance if you are over 65 years old and need help with your personal care because you are physically or mentally disabled. Your income and savings will not affect any payment of attendance allowance. There is more information available, including how to apply on the government website.

Personal independence payment

Personal independence payment (PIP) replaced disability living allowance (DLA) for adults of working age. If you are aged between 16 and 64 and have a mental or physical disability you may be able to claim. How much you earn and any savings you have won't affect a claim for PIP. You can find out more information, including how to claim, on the government website.

If you currently get Disability Living Allowance (DLA) and are aged between 16 and 64, at some point you will be asked to claim PIP. It is important to fill in the claim form they send you and return it within the time limit or your DLA payment may stop.

Disability living allowance

Disability living allowance (DLA) is a benefit for children under 16 who have difficulty walking or needs more looking after than a child the same age who doesn't have a disability. You can find out more details including information on how to claim on the government website.

Carer's allowance

If you are over 16 and care for someone for more than 35 hours per week, you may be able to claim carer's allowance. There are other conditions that you must meet which can be found on the government website. Claiming carer's allowance can affect the other benefits of both the carer and the person being cared for.

Industrial injuries disablement benefit

You can claim industrial injuries disablement benefits (IIDB) if you are ill or disabled because of an accident or disease from work or an employment training scheme or course. You can find out more information, including how to apply on the government website.

Maternity allowance

If you cannot get statutory maternity pay, you may qualify for maternity allowance. You can find out more information, including how to claim, on the government website.

Tax credits

There are 2 types of tax credits:

  • Child tax credit - you can claim child tax credit for each child you have under 16 years or 20 years if in education or training. You do not need to work to get child tax credit.
  • Working tax credit - you can claim working tax credit if you are aged between 16 and 24 and have a child or a disability. Or if you are over 25 years old with or without children. You must work a certain amount of hours and get paid for the work you do.

To qualify for child tax credit and working tax credit you must have an income below a certain level. To see how much you could get, use the tax credits calculator.

Child benefit

If you are responsible for a child under 16 or under 20 and still in education or approved training, you can claim child benefit. You can find out more information, including how to apply on the government website.

Families with children

Find out what financial help may be available from pregnancy to school age, how Tax Credits can help you qualify and what other conditions you must meet by reading the Financial help in the early years leaflet below.