Latest update: 3.30pm Friday 13 December
- Peebles High School remains closed until after the Christmas holiday following a severe fire on Thursday 28 November which caused significant damage.
- We continue to urge people to stay away from the site for their own safety.
- Recovery of personal belongings and teaching materials is ongoing. We are planning to have more available for collection early next week - details should be available on Monday 16 December.
- From Monday 9 December S1-S3 pupils have been receiving face–to-face teaching within Peebles at alternative locations. Details available in our S1-S3 FAQs
- From Monday 9 December S4-S6 pupils have been receiving face-to-face teaching from PHS staff within locations in Galashiels. Details available in our S4-S6 FAQs
- Transport arrrangements for all PHS pupils between 9-19 December are ongoing. Transport arrangements for Friday 13 December have been confirmed. Find out more
- An event for parents of S4-S6 pupils took place at Macdonald Cardrona Hotel on Wednesday 11 December.
We greatly appreciate the support and patience of parents and pupils in what is an extremely challenging and complex situation. We are making good progress with a range of necessary arrangements and your ongoing co-operation is greatly assisting with that.
Transport arrangements 9-19 December
- Transport arrrangements for all Peebles High School pupils between 9 and 19 December are ongoing. Find out more
- Arrangements for Friday 13 December: the morning arrangements will be the same for Friday as the rest of the week. In the afternoon, school buses will operate from Kingsmeadows car park at their normal time for travel home. To facilitate this, S4-S6 pupils will finish in Galashiels at 12.45pm. S1-S3 pupils will finish at 1:20pm.
- All transport arrangements for primary pupils are unchanged, unless parents have been contacted directly to advise otherwise.
Plans from Monday 9 December
Arrangements are now in place for face-to-face learning for PHS pupils in alternative locations. Year groups S1-S3 are being taught in Peebles while S4-S6 are being taught in Galashiels by Peebles staff.
Damage to the school
- We have released two images of fire damage at PHS. This gives a flavour of the extent of the damage caused by the fire.
- People continue to be warned to stay away from the site for their own safety. Please note that it has been secured with security staff, CCTV and that regular police patrols are in place.
- Police Scotland’s Chief Superintendent, John McKenzie, said: “We are aware of youths who have entered the building, placing themselves at risk. This is a hazardous and unsafe environment for anyone to be in. We would ask parents and carers to assist us; talk to your child about the potential dangers and the consequences as this could make a difference to their safety. We will take action against anyone found within the site."
- Chief Inspector, Stuart Reid, said: “I cannot stress enough how dangerous this area is just now and the fencing has been put up for everyone’s safety. People should stay away from the area and we will be carrying out patrols to reinforce this message. Anyone caught within the school or tampering with the fence will be dealt with appropriately. The school is out of bounds, and I would ask anyone who witnesses anyone in the grounds to call us at the time on the 101 number, or 999 if it is an emergency.”
Collection of belongings
- The vast majority of belongings recovered to date have been collected. We are planning to have more available for collection early next week - details should be available on Monday.
- See our separate information page for more details.
Pre-Christmas Prelim exams postponed
- All pre-Christmas prelim exams have been postponed until the new year to ensure pupils have an opportunity to recover from the events of last Thursday and can be fully prepared for these important exams. An initial meeting has been held with the SQA who are now fully aware of and supportive of the challenges we face. Meetings will continue to be held and information provided to parents and pupils as soon as this is available.