Council tax payments
Details of the amounts due are shown on your bill. Council tax is normally payable in 10 monthly instalments (minimum £5) due on the 1st of each month from April to January, with extra payment dates available if you pay by direct debit. You can also pay in full in a single payment.
It is essential that payments are made on or before the due date. You must not, however, allow your payments to fall into arrears.
Ways to pay
You can pay your council tax online 24 hours a day.
Paying by direct debit is a safe and convenient way to pay your Council tax with over 70% of people choosing to pay by direct debit.
You can set up a direct debit by:
- completing our online direct debit form
- printing and completing a direct debit form
- calling customer services on 0300 100 1800
You can pay your Council tax by direct debit:
- weekly, fortnightly or 4 weekly on a friday
- monthly in 10 or 12 instalments on 1st, 5th, 15th or 25th of the month
- in a single payment on 1st of the month following receipt of your completed direct debit mandate.
For more information read our direct debit FAQs.
Home or telephone banking
You will need the details of our bank account, which are:
- Bank of Scotland, Newtown St. Boswells
- Sort code - 80-17-91
- Account number - 00217929
All payments must include your council tax account number, as shown on your bill.
Automated telephone payments
To pay your council tax by telephone please call 08450 758517, this call will cost you 3 pence per minute plus your phone company's access charge.
You can pay your council tax by cash in Post offices and wherever you see the PayPoint logo (in convenience stores, newsagents, supermarkets and service stations). You must take your barcoded bill with you to make a payment.
You can pay your council tax by cheque or credit/debit card at any of our contact centres. Please take your bill or invoice with you. You cannot pay Council tax by cash in our contact centres.
Cheques and postal orders should be made payable to 'Scottish Borders Council'. Please write your council tax account number and your name and address on the back of your cheque or postal order which should be sent to: Scottish Borders Council, Council Headquarters, Newtown St. Boswells, Melrose, TD6 0SA.
In this section
- Council tax payments (current page)
- Direct debit - frequently asked questions