Support for children and families
Integrated Children's Services
Advice, information and support for children, young people and families.
Out of Office Hours
For advice or to report a concern out of office hours please call the Social Work Emergency Duty Team.
Tel: 01896 752111
Support for children, young people and families is provided by Integrated Children's Services (ICS). We have combined children's and families' social work services with services for children requiring additional support for learning.
Supporting you in your community
Our goal is for the majority of children to be helped and supported in their own communities. We do this by making our services accessible from five locality offices situated in Duns, Galashiels, Hawick, Kelso and Innerleithen.
In each locality, we provide advice, guidance and support through multi-disciplinary teams who have a wide range of knowledge and skills, including:
- Social work services for children and families
- Youth offending
- Children Affected by Disability (CHAD)
- Family support
- Learning / behavioural support in schools
- Additional needs assistants in schools
- Home school link workers
- Educational psychology
- Police locality integration officers
- Community children's nurses
- Community mental health.
In addition, there are a number of specialist services providing support to children across the Borders. These include:
- Child protection - a multi-agency unit combining Integrated Children's Services, the Police, Health and Education to support the locality teams in keeping our children safe
- Resources - fostering, adoption, kinship and residential care
- Complex needs - services for children affected by disabilities
- Social, emotional and behavioural needs (SEBN) - specialist resources and educational facilities
- Early Years Assessment Team - multi-agency team working ante-natally and post-natally with families.
Getting it Right for Every Child
Our services are organised around the principles of the Scottish Government's policy framework Getting It Right For Every Child (GIRFEC). This framework puts the child at the centre, and strives to ensure that every child receives the support they need, when they need it, and wherever possible in their own community.
Find out more
For more information, contact your local Integrated Children's Services office.