Community recycling centres
If you need to dispose of large household items (such as old beds or sofas) which will not fit in your bin, you can arrange a special uplift.
- Book a special uplift online - pay by debit or credit card
- Call us on 0300 100 1800 - pay by debit or credit card
- Visit your nearest contact centre - pay by cash, cheque, debit or credit card
A maximum of 5 items can be collected at any one time (Note: a three piece suite will count as 3 items).
Find out what we can and cannot collect.
Collection of up to 5 items - £26.25.
Changes and cancellations
You can change or cancel your booking up to 12 noon on the day before the uplift by calling 0300 100 1800. Cut off times and collection days for each area are shown in the table below.
|Area||Collection day||Changes and cancellations cut off|
|Galashiels||Monday||Friday - 12 noon
|Duns||Tuesday||Monday - 12 noon
|Peebles||Wednesday||Tuesday - 12 noon
|Hawick, Jedburgh and Kelso||Thursday
||Wednesday - 12 noon
Items must be left at your usual refuse collection point by 7:30 am on the day the collection has been arranged.
Alternative disposal options
You can dispose of household items and other waste free of charge at your local community recycling centre.
You may also wish to consider if the item you want to dispose of could be accepted at a charity shop or by a local furniture reuse organisation. Charity shops and organisations that accept large furniture in The Scottish Borders are:
- Berwickshire Furniture Restoration Co Ltd The Warehouse, Duns TD11 3AQ - 01361 884886.
- PDSA 64 Channel Street, Galashiels, TD1 1BA - 01896 759881.
- Home Basics, 2 Annfield Mills, Teviot Cresecent, Hawick, TD9 9PS - 01450 363974
- Home Basics, Unit 7, Tweedvale Mills East, Walkerburn EH43 6AB - 01896 870455
- St Margaret's Hospice, Galashiels - 01896 751188.
Furniture being donated may need to meet certain safety standards or regulations, please ask the organisation you are considering donating to for further information.
In this section
- Special uplifts (current page)
- What we can and cannot collect